School Delays and Closures
When inclement weather hits Yakima, many YSD staff are up (very) early consulting with city management, driving the bus routes and putting teams in place to best remove safety hazards at our buildings.
Our goal is to make a delay or closure decision by 5:30a.m.
What is the procedure for determining to close school due to inclement weather? Check our policy here: Operational Procedure 2221 - Emergency School Closure (PDF).
We post messaging about delays and/or closures to:
- The district and school websites: www.YakimaSchools.org
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/yakimasd
- Twitter: www.Twitter.com/yakimaschools
- YSD Mobile App (with push notification): Instructions for download https://www.yakimaschools.org/MobileApp
- Local Media - We send our message to local media via the FlashAlert system to which all Yakima area media organizations subscribe (view media list)
- Snow Line: 509-573-7000, PRESS 1 and listen for message (AFTER 5:30a.m.)
We realize their are many opinions as to when we should delay, close or remain open in full operation. We take this decision very seriously and do our best to keep school open and on time. However, should we need to close school, we will make up each day lost. Please check the district calendar for a listing of designated snow make-up days. If we do not need to make up days, there will be no school on the scheduled snow make-up days.
If the weather is poor, allow extra time to get where you need to be and make sure you have prepared your children with warm coats, boots, hats and gloves. To prepare for delays and closures, please make sure you have a care plan in place for your children should you need to report to your employment. Its also time to be prepared for winter driving.
During the winter, we often run "Snow Routes" for our buses. Keep in mind that the busses do their best to stay on schedule but will drive slowly and safely. Please be prepared for possible delays at your bus stops. If a route is more than 30 minutes behind, we will post an update on our website at www.YakimaSchools.org. If we run snow routes in the morning, we will stay on snow routes in the afternoon. Please be familiar with your child's snow route: View Yakima School District Bus Routes.